Richard is the founding and managing partner of SMARTLEGAL Schmidt & Partners.
Fluent in English and French, he is recognised as a skilled and solution-driven attorney, who provides clients with a prompt and efficient legal advice.
Familiar with both the courtroom and the boardroom, his advice always represents added value. Besides seeing all the pieces of a legal puzzle, he has the ability of focusing on those things that really count, without wasting time on the unimportant.
Specialised in litigation & arbitration, he represents his clients in front of domestic and international courts and arbitral tribunals in complex, challenging cases.
SMARTLEGAL Schmidt & Partners is a boutique law firm in downtown Budapest, Hungary, with strong focus on dispute resolution on both domestic and international level.
We successfully represented among others
– An Italian contractor from the oil & gas sector in ICC Arbitration in a dispute regarding a Hungarian industrial plant;
– A Russian manufacturer against a non-paying Hungarian purchaser in front of national courts;
– A market leader logistics service provider in an international transportation dispute, in front of the Court of Arbitration of Hungarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry;
– A UK investor in a commercial dispute involving the unlawful termination of a long-term lease agreement in front of Hungarian Supreme Court;
– A Swiss investor, offering lending and asset management services against a Hungarian debtor in domestic litigation
– A Greek real-estate investor against a Hungarian tenant in a high-volume dispute