Employment Law , Labour Law
She embarked on the professional practice of law in 2004. For 6 years, she was a partner in the Labour Department at the Garcés & López-Ibor law firm. Previously, she headed her own law firm and was the Head of the Labour Relations Department at the multinational Dupont Powder Coatings Ibérica for four years.
Maria José specialises in legal advice for business in collective bargaining and business restructuring processes, as well as the training of managers in Labour Law, among others matters. Likewise, she regularly appears before social courts.
In the field of education, María José teaches Labour Law at the School of Legal Practice of the Barcelona Bar Association. She is also working on her doctoral thesis, which is on the posted workers within the framework of transnational service provision.
María José Martínez is recognised and recommended by the prestigious International Directory of Best Lawyers.
● Holds a Law degree from the Open University of Catalonia
● Labour Relations specialist of the University of Barcelona
● Holds a Master’s degree in Labour Relations and Social Security from Pompeu Fabra University
● Holds a Master’s degree in Tax Law with a specialisation in Business Consulting from the Open University of Catalonia
● Industrial Business Studies at Montfort University (Leicester – UK)
● PhD candidate in Employment Law. Research thesis on the temporary transfer of workers within the framework of the European Union
Associations and Positions
● Member of the Labour Committee of the Terrassa – Barcelona Bar Association
● Secretary of the Association of Leather Goods Manufacturers of Madrid and the Central Region. (ASEMAVI)
● Member and secretary of the Labour Law Committee of the Terrassa – Barcelona Bar Association
● Professor at the School of Legal Practice of the Terrassa – Barcelona Bar Association
● Associate professor of Labour Law at ISDE
Galibier Legal is a Boutique Labour Law and Talent Consultancy Firm, which is highly specialised in its area of practice and has a global reach. It is led by a team of professionals with a proven track record of excellence.
It aims to implement legal practices and differentiating values in organisations, in terms of a legal standpoint as well as human resources consultancy and training.
The name “Galibier Legal” embodies an adventure brimming with inspiration and magic, whose challenge is to reach the top and press on. The Galibier is the highest mountain pass on the Tour de France. It is located at an elevation of 2,645 metres at the heart of the French Alps, and it is part of the queen stage of this amazing sporting event. It is known as one of the most gruelling mountains passes in the world, with a punishing ascent and a tough descent, without being the end of the stage. It is by no means the end of anything and is instead the beginning of many things.
Thus, our mission is to safeguard the interests of our clients, to provide them with sound legal advice on their professional and business journey, to overcome the difficulties along the way, and to reach the top of the Galibier together in order to press on.
We have observed that there are conflict hotspots in the workplace, and that action is usually taken to deal with them only after they have already occurred. Most of them have to do with the loss of focus on the goals. This is not due to a company’s lack of follow-up, but instead due to the employee gradually losing sight of the goals in their mind. We aim to help them always keep the goals uppermost using easy-to-remember examples and images that are difficult to forget in the human mind, using life lessons from cycling. With them, we anticipate organisational conflicts in order to avoid them.
Our firm provides the client with a global perspective, not only with regard to legal matters, but also as a complement in human resources thanks to our extensive experience inside and outside organisations.
We can transfer the values of major sporting events to the demands of business organisations, placing a special emphasis on the value of focusing on attainable goals as the key to individual and organisational success. We understand that the failure to achieve set goals leads to the breakdown in the organisation’s trust in an employee, and we intervene in an effort to avoid conflict. We provide approaches to always stay focused on the goals.
As part of our strategic advisory services in terms of labour law, we keep our clients abreast of all legal and jurisprudential developments in Spain.
We’d love it if you could join us on our way to the top and press on together the rest of the way.